Excerpt: “With its third album, On the Casino Floor, Seattle’s Hotels have fashioned a concept album set in an outer space gambling den that relates the story of a secret agent who is trying to save the universe from an evil galactic prince. If that sounds hokey, well, it is. However, the band’s sonic resonance is something else altogether. Imagine if the Smiths collided with OK Computer-era Radiohead on the set of a spaghetti western, and you’ll get an idea of the cinematic scope that Hotels is shooting for. On the Casino Floor is claustrophobic and spacious at the same time, and with five of the seven songs clocking in at above the five-minute mark, there is a certain grandeur to the set-up that pushes these tracks into interstellar hyper-drive. What’s more, the album captures all of the sleaziness, depravity, glitz and glitter of a night out in Sin City…. There are some astounding moments on On the Casino Floor and they tend to come at the beginning and end of the outing…. The best that can be said about On the Casino Floor is that it is an exactingly cohesive statement, even though the record’s James Bond in a spacesuit idea (wasn’t that already done in Moonraker?) might be a tad bit on the silly side.”
Hidden Shoal MixTape
- Three Hidden Shoal Albums in Textura’s Best of 2018!
- New Chloe March Single, ‘Snow Bird’
- REW<< “Conversation Arctique” EP Out Now!
- Pledge and Get Slow Dancing Society’s “The Dusk Recital” on Vinyl!
- Hidden Shoal in Textura’s Ten Favourite Labels of 2018 List!
- Kramies “Of all the Places Been & Everything the End” Reviewed at A Decouvrir Absolument
- Moonchy & Tobias ‘ La Bete Et La Belle’ Reviewed at Dark Life Experience
- Todd Tobias & Chloe March “Amialluma” Reviewed by Craig Laurance Gidney
- Kramies “Of All The Places Been & Everything The End” Reviewed at Americana UK
- Moonchy & Tobias Reviewed at Here Comes The Flood