Wrap your ears around artist and label curated mixtapes. Expect these mixtapes to cover broad ground as you’ll see from our inaugural mix from Markus Mehr. Some mixes will focus on the Hidden Shoal catalogue and others will draw from the global pool. Be sure to follow us on MixCloud to keep up with new MixTapes.
Following on from Markus Mehr’s brilliant Kitsch Before Glitch mix, the second installment in our new MixTape series comes from Hidden Shoal manager Cam Merton. Down Low beautifully showcases the breadth of down-tempo guitar-based music in Hidden Shoal’s catalogue, from the melancholic dream-pop of Kramies, to the droning instrumental atmospheres of Sleeping Me. A wide swathe of six-string songcraft is represented, resulting in an immersive mix that carries the listener across some breathtaking terrain.
In this, the very first installment of our MixTape series we have the inimitable German experimentalist Markus Mehr serve us up a glowing slab of 60’s and 70’s pop entitled Kitsch Before Glitch. Even better, Markus has a second installment coming which will see the kitsch give way to glitch. Look out for that in 2015. For now though let’s hear what Markus has to say about this collection of songs before we soak them in.
“A few years back, together with a friend i ran a small and cosy club (Der Pavian) in my hometown. Once or twice a month we had nights called Las Vegas Ballroom or Farfisa Club were I was putting on records just like these. These nights were packed and it was so much fun to play this timeless music. The guys who wrote, recorded and sang these songs were gods to me. The sonic quality is so unique, they did incredible arrangements for fantastic songs. This music from the sixties and seventies might be a bit over the top here and there but it will always have a special place in my heart, so i hope you enjoy this mixtape just as much as i do. P.S. and yes, the vinyl-noises are authentic…” – Markus Mehr
Hidden Shoal MixTape
- Medard Fischer “Lucky You” Out Now
- New Lunar Landscape Single – Stream and Teaser Video
- Chloe March ‘Calypso Wants’ Lyric Video
- New Liminal Drifter Single Featured on RTRFM and 4ZZZ
- Stunning New Liminal Drifter Single, ‘Beach Fair’
- Liminal Drifter “The Dreams” Reviewed at 4ZZZ
- Erik Nilsson “The Imperfect Tense” Reviewed at Global Music Magazine
- Test Card ‘Marble Index’ Reviewed at The Revue
- Slow Dancing Society “Prologue: The Magic Lantern” Reviewed at The Burning Ear
- Summon the Birds “Blood Love” Reviewed at [sic] Magazine