Here we ask a Hidden Shoal artist to choose three questions from a list of many and answer them as they wish – mini music interviews! A little bit of fun mixed with a little bit of insight.
Every few weeks we ask one of the Hidden Shoal artists to choose three questions from a list of many and answer them as they wish. A little bit of fun mixed with a little bit of insight – and a nice preview to the full-length interviews we have lined up throughout the year with all the Hidden Shoal artists.
Our first three questions are directed at the lovely Todd Tobias. Todd is one half of Brother Earth whose brilliant new album Positive Haywires has just dropped. His next solo album Impossible Cities comes out on the 28th of October (check out the first single here). You may also know him from his collaborations with Robert Pollard (Circus Devils and Pollards solo material) and also as producer of a number of Guided By Voices albums.
So without further ado we ask Todd to reach into the bag and pull out three questions.
Why make music?
It begins with self-enchantment. From there, if the artist is fortunate, it becomes a source of enchantment for others.
If you were writing a soundtrack/score, what director would you most want to work with?
Jan Svankmajer. He is Czech filmmaker whose movies have a surreal quality, mixing live action with animation. His movies are scary and funny at the same time.
What’s the best show you’ve ever been to?
Last summer (2013) I saw the Joffrey Ballet perform to The Rite Of Spring at an outdoor venue here in Ohio called The Blossom Music Center. It was a magical night.
Hidden Shoal MixTape
- Stunning New Kramies Video Featured in Billboard Magazine!
- Three Hidden Shoal Albums in Textura’s Best of 2018!
- New Chloe March Single, ‘Snow Bird’
- REW<< “Conversation Arctique” EP Out Now!
- Pledge and Get Slow Dancing Society’s “The Dusk Recital” on Vinyl!
- Kramies “Of all the Places Been & Everything the End” Reviewed at A Decouvrir Absolument
- Moonchy & Tobias ‘ La Bete Et La Belle’ Reviewed at Dark Life Experience
- Todd Tobias & Chloe March “Amialluma” Reviewed by Craig Laurance Gidney
- Kramies “Of All The Places Been & Everything The End” Reviewed at Americana UK
- Moonchy & Tobias Reviewed at Here Comes The Flood