Hidden Shoal is proud to announce the release of ‘Somnolent’ by piano minimalist Memorybell, taken from his debut album Obsolete. Memorybell is the ambient project of Grant Hazard Outerbridge, who in February 2014 awoke in a hospital with no memory of how he had arrived. He was diagnosed with transient global amnesia, a condition that causes the brain to temporarily stop making new memories. When he returned to the piano, Outerbridge found his previous compositions sounded garish. He pared them down to their essence and, along with new, more spacious material, constructed a set of variegated and subtle songs that explore the interplay between dissonance and silence. Recorded live in a single sitting using just a creaky grand piano and two microphones, Obsolete is as concerned with exploring the spaces between notes as the notes themselves, giving each song room to breathe and encouraging the ear to wander. The percussive qualities of the piano are almost dissolved by the air surrounding each note, leaving an aching space for the tones to resonate.
Hidden Shoal MixTape
- New Chloe March Single and Forthcoming Album!
- Interview With Kramies at Half-Life Music
- New Target Archery Music Video – ‘Scarecrow’
- Kramies Westy Session Feature (Live in a Van!)
- New Willem Gator Single From Forthcoming Album!
- Kramies ‘I Wished I Missed You’ Reviewed at Soul Kitchen
- Kramies ‘I Wished I Missed You’ Reviewed at Impose Magazine
- Kramies ‘I Wished I Missed You’ Featured at Indie Eye
- Kramies ‘I Wished I Missed You’ Reviewed at A Decouvrir Absolument
- Kramies ‘I Wished I Missed You’ Featured at Atwood Magazine