“I am an unabashed Hidden Shoal fan. The Australian label has been pumping out releases of lush, cinematic aspirations of ambient and neo-classical artists for a better part of it’s existence that, at times, is overcome by its eclectic output ranging from conspiracy-punks to 90’s slowcore revivalists to every deriviation of weirdos (Australian and otherwise) in between. Long Distance Transmissions, however, is a surprisingly cohesive collection of sprawling ambient, electro-acoustic, post-classical and just about ever derivation (Australian and otherwise) of lushly produced, slightly melancholic, wordless music in between. Highlights include Markus Mehr’s Tim Hecker-meets-Heinz Riegler meditative distorted synth composition “Hubble, the chopped and glitched electro-acoustic number by Kryshe, the minor key minimalist techno of Cheekbone and the emotional heft of the 80’s nostalgia of Slow Dancing Society’s bubbling arpeggios and soundtrack-worthy dynamics. It makes sense that Hidden Shoal also exists as a licensing company, many of these compositions, if not already, seem to soundtrack some deeply resonant scenes in films (never made).”
Hidden Shoal MixTape
- Beautiful New Target Archery Video + Stream – ‘Soujourn’
- New Summon the Birds Single – ‘Funeral for a King’
- Summon the Birds Single Premiere on The Big Takeover
- Slow Dancing Society ‘An Invitation (The Drive Home)’ Single
- New Rewilding Single and Video!
- Summon the Birds ‘London Tap Water’ Reviewed at [sic] Magazine
- Battlestations “Vixit” Reviewed at A Closer Listen
- Slow Dancing Society “Night Takes Day” Reviewed at Opus
- Washington Hebrew ‘Ima Try’ Reviewed at The Sunday Experience
- New Liminal Drifter Remix Album – Pre-Orders & Track Stream!